Palak paneer is a classic vegetarian dish from north India, made with fresh spinach and cheese, seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic and garam masala. I have been making this stove top recipe for years now. It is my mom’s healthy recipe, without any cream, cooked with homemade ghee and paneer!
Palak paneer makes a healthy weeknight meal and is ready in 15 mins with this easy instant pot recipe! No boiling hot water or using your food processor to puree the spinach. Cook it all in one pot and let the immersion blender do its magic. Serve with steamed rice or hot parathas for a wholesome vegetarian meal!
I have changed the original stovetop recipe a bit here to make it more creamy using cashews soaked in warm milk. Heavy Cream or unsweetened coconut cream can also be added in the end to make the dish more creamy and mild.
- 1 LB spinach (fresh or frozen), chopped
- 2 cups paneer, cubed
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1-2 tsp hot green chilli, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 15 cashews
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste or 1 tsp
- Add cashews to milk and blend together to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Turn IP to saute mode. Once the hot sign displays add ghee. Add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and green chili. Saute for a min. Add onions and cook for 2 mins stirring a few times. Add chopped spinach, salt and 1 cup of water. Close IP with pressure valve to sealing.
- For frozen spinach - manual(Hi) for 1 min
- For fresh spinach - Manual(Hi) for 0 min
- Quick release. Turn IP to Saute(Less), this will stop the spinach puree from splattering all over.
- Add ½ cup of water(optional) and blend to make smooth paste using immersion blender. Add cashew paste, garam masala and paneer. Gently stir everything together. Serve hot with rice or parathas.