Punjabi murg makhani also know as butter chicken is one of the most popular Indian dish across the globe. Smoky flavorful chicken, grilled in the tandoor with heavenly aroma of the garam masala and fenugreek, dunked in a creamy sauce with orangish hue from the red chili powder and turmeric – is how I reminisce butter chicken!
I recently purchased my instant pot/electric pressure cooker and have been loving the one pot cooking experience! Not much clean up, no baby sitting the food and so many healthy dishes that can be cooked in no time. While I was searching for some instant pot recipes, I came across theprimaldesire.com, a wonderful blog with a delicious and healthy recipe for Paleo butter chicken. Not that I am dairy free but looking at the ingredient list, the butter chicken that is usually drenched in butter and cream all of a sudden looked so much healthy and appetizing!
The Paleo version using the coconut milk and ghee to get the same authentic creamy taste without all that butter or cream! And to top it off all under 45 mins, no chicken to be marinated or grilled. I have tried the recipe few times and loved it every single time. Thanks to Holley & Raj now I am hooked to this healthy, delicious and most of all quick recipe.
I am so excited to post my first Instant pot recipe and thought a video to go with it would hopefully make it easier for everyone to follow this recipe:
Here is my version adapted from the original recipe that is now on a repeat list in my house.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized pieces) - I used chicken breast
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion (chopped fine)
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder **
- 3 plum tomates pureed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk/cream (allow these to separate - DO NOT shake. Best if left in fridge overnight)
- 1 tsp garam masala**
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (I love this taste but could be optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- cilantro to garnish
- Set Instant Pot on Saute mode and melt ghee.
- Add salt and onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent for 2-3 mins (with a glass lid on to speed this process)
- Add ginger, garlic, red chili powder and turmeric. Mix in and cook until fragrant for 2 mins.
- Add the watery portion of coconut milk and pureed tomatoes mixing with spices. Add chicken and stir well.
- Close instant pot with steam release handle to sealing position. Set to Manual Mode and cook on high pressure for 8 mins followed by quick release.
- Open the instapot, stir in coconut cream, tomato paste, garam masala, fenugreek leaves, sugar and half of the cilantro. Add more salt if needed.
- Turn the instant pot to Sauté mode. Cook without the lid to allow the curry to thicken for 10 mins. If the sauce starts to splutter, set instant pot on low pressure.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro.
- ** Add more red chili powder and garam masala for spicer version.